Monday 7 March 2011

April 18th, HERE I COME!

Hello Hello All!

So, my first post.  Kinda overwhelming, not going to lie.  I want to be able to do this to the best of my abilities to share my journey in being a Makeup Art student with you.  

As of April 18th, 2011 I will officially be going back to school!  I am so overwhelmed and excited by this I can hardly contain myself.  It's been almost 4 years since I've been in any sort of classroom situation and due to the rather poor experiences I had in school anyways, I am nervous as a cat!  It's taken me a few years to finally be selfish and say "HEY! this is my passion and I want to do it for the rest of my life!"  I have always been terrified of money and loans and having debt so it took a bit of coercion on my part to finally swallow my pride and fears (and a few bottles of pepto to keep the ulcers at bay!) to go in and meet with an adviser at New Image and enroll for the April 2011-March 2012 Fashion and Film Makeup Design Diploma course.

I first went in to New Image on Thursday March 3rd to meet with an AMAZING woman named Charie.  I was quite intimidated walking in at first but the atmosphere was a soothing one and immediately put me at ease.  The school itself is the penthouse suite/floor of the Standard building downtown on 510 West Hastings.  The school is a beautiful and bustling little place full of energy and encouragement.  While meeting with Charie, I felt nothing but support and a genuine want to help me achieve my dreams and help me do what it is I love.  Charie is an outgoing and bubbly sort of woman.  Not only is she gorgeous but she has the brains and emotions to match!  As mentioned, I am TERRIFIED of loans and debt and due to my current financial situation and stresses, the moment she asked about money and what the situation was, I started to cry.  GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION RIGHT?!  Gah, so obviously, I was mortified.  I hate to cry, especially in front of people I don't know.  Charie was an absolute doll and didn't make me feel a fool for crying, and it seemed she truly understood what a conflicting feeling I was having.  I have honestly never felt such a great feeling anywhere, let alone in school.  Everyone at this school is very outgoing and so supportive.  I needed that, considering the state my head really was in.  After the initial meeting with Charie, I asked if I could have a few days to really mull everything over in my head and made a date to come back the following Tuesday.

So home I go for the evening, back to all the stresses of being broke and wondering if going to school right now is really in my best interest.  I can't even begin to explain how dejected I felt, thinking about whether loving something with all your heart really is a good enough reason to put yourself into debt when you can't even find a job!  I sat for HOURS looking over the information packet I was given and talking with my best friend and life adviser, Mom.  I honestly believe between herself and my AMAZING friend down in Texas, Shea of Pinkosmetics (My Amazingly talented makeup artist friend and main source of inspiration for finally doing this!) that I never could have gotten past my financial fears.

I know now that the money I am paying is only a small down payment on what I feel is going to be a HUGE future for myself.  Of course, I am still scared, but I know that not a lot of people get the ability to do what it is they love as living for the rest of their lives and I don't want to be one of those people.  It's my life and ultimately, I have the final say.  I know what I want and I know how to get it.

After mulling it over ALL NIGHT LONG, and with the encouragement of my wonderful fiance, I texted Charie back the next morning and asked her if there was still space left in the April course and quick as a wink, she told me there were a few spots left and if I had the time (Of course I had the time, I'm unemployed!) that I could come in that same day and enroll myself and she'd help me get the student loan application sorted out.  So off I go, back to the same place I seemed to have such trouble finding the day before.  Walking in that day, I felt much different than the day prior.  I was confident and so excited I could hardly contain myself.  Meeting with Charie again, I knew I absolutely adored her and if it weren't for her and all her help, I'd have been a mess.  Not a hot one, just a mess.

After signing copious amounts of forms, I really felt I was making the right choice.  I never once felt like Charie was trying to push this on me or that the school was just out for my money.  Charie helped me by being a great support while I filled out all my information online with StudentAidBC and assured me that considering my circumstances that they would accept me.

And now here I sit, playing the waiting game until I am approved and I find out how much assistance I will receive.  I am still nervous simply because I'm not sure whether they will cover the full tuition and if not, how the hell will I?! I have another appointment to go back on the 14th after my birthday to find out if I was approved and if so, for how much.  I have my fingers crossed.  Night and day, it's all I think about it.  It's what I dream about.

I can say one thing though and it's that the school has never known and never will know passion and dedication like mine.  I am absolutely grateful for all the amazing support and help I have received.  I know I couldn't have done it without some amazing people who I'd really like to thank.

Mom: Thank you for always being my bridge over troubled waters and for knowing me inside and out.  Thank you for convincing me I deserve to be happy and that god really does work in mysterious ways.  Because of you, I know everything will turn out right.

Shea:  You're my rock.  I know I couldn't be doing this without you.  I know I am terribly stubborn and a bit of pessimist at times, but thank you from the bottom of my heart for pushing me.  I appreciate it more than I could ever convey.

Matty: Thank you for your love.  That alone is enough to push me to do what it is I truly love.  Thank you for your encouragement and support during these rather trying times.  Thank you for everything you do and everything you are always willing to do to help me be a better me.  I love you mostest <3

Camille (TalkinMakeUp on youtube):  I first stumbled across your video on how you became a MAC artist one night and I instantly loved you.  You are so beyond vivacious and outgoing you just OOZE it. You are such a lovely person and you have so much to give and you always do.  After watching your video, I was inspired by your dedication and you message of "Just Do it" that I almost cried.  I knew you were right in saying that you should do what you love and never let anyone make you believe you can't.  You are such a wonderful person and such a talented artist that I truly adore you.  I appreciate everything you do and all the support you offer.  I will definitely keep you updated on the schooling.  Thank you for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment