Tuesday 15 March 2011

Quo Bent Eyeliner Brush and Sephora Smoky Cream Eyeliner Reviews (Picture Heavy Post)

Hello again guys and doll!

Yesterday my beastie (Matty) bought me a bent eyeliner brush that I've been looking for for an eternity.  I was totally stoked to finally find one somewhere local! Since I also just recently got 2 cream eyeliners from Sephora for my birthday, I figured I'd review the 2 together as they go hand in hand with each other. I hope that this is a helpful review and that I can shed a bit more light on the topics of bent eyeliner brushes and cream/gel eyeliners.



Quo Bent Eye Liner Brush

Where to buy in Canada: You can find these handy little tools at virtually any Shopper's Drug Mart.  Quo cosmetics is one Shopper's own lines and they have LOADS of affordable brushes and cosmetics and other tools.

Cost: $13.99
Now I know you're all thinking "That's not THAT much cheaper" But in the long run, and if you're buying multiple brushes at a time, it really is saving you money versus the big name brands like MAC.  Not only that, they really are wonderful quality and I have never had an issue with any sort of shedding or color running.  I have a few Quo brushes and those that I do have, I have had for at least 3 years now and they're all still in perfect shape and holding up like true champs.

My Thoughts:
As mentioned, I've been looking for one of these brushes since I first heard about them.  I am a liquid eyeliner girl to the core and as such, finding good eyeliner brushes is IMPERATIVE.  I have a few different eyeliner brushes including the standard straight ones (Mine is an awesome little taklon artists brush) and an AMAZING angle brush with the finest edges EVER from ecotools of all brands.  I always like to try new things and when it comes to doing eyeliner on a client or even on myself, anything that makes it that much easier or quicker is appreciated.  This brush does JUST that.  I always thought my straight brush was great but it still took some time as you have to be quite careful to keep the line straight due to the angle your arm/hand has to be at due to the shape of brush.  This brush, due to it's ingenious little bend, makes applying liquid or gel eyeliners an absolute breeze.  It's much more ergonomically correct and thus, makes so much more sense.  Gone are the days of holding your arm at awkward angles, trying to achieve the perfect line or perfect little flick!  I am a convert now.  Utterly and totally.  I have yet to try this brush on a client and so I can't tell you how much easier it will make that process, but I imagine if it's improved the process of application on one's self this much, it should make that an absolute breeze also.

The brush is a synthetic hair and it picks up the color and distributes it evenly.  Being as it's synthetic, the bristles don't absorb the product and waste it.  It has a very fine point  and the ferule itself is obviously a little longer than a normal straight brush to facilitate that little bend. The brush also has it's use printed onto it, stating simply "Angled Eyeliner Brush" (I wish it said BENT!  Everyone knows an Angle eyeliner brush has angle cut hair... Grrr...)  Clearly, that's the only beef I really have with this brush.  I know it does grammatically make sense, but it still kinda bugs me.

Either way, I definitely give this brush 5 stars.  Easily.  I can't get over how much quicker and simpler it makes the whole ling process.  It also works wonders for waterlines and tightlining, which is always a rather awkward process in itself! It's perfect for creating very fine lines and also works just as well to create thick, bold lines.  It's truly a gem.

Who would LOVE this product:  Everyone!  Especially if you're an eyeliner junkie like myself.  People just starting out using liquid or gel eyeliners will also adore this brush as I really do feel it will simplify the whole process.  People who have trouble getting clean lines or perfect "wings" will really appreciate this also. 

Who wouldn't love it: I honestly don't think there would be a single makeup loving soul that wouldn't!  I suppose if you never use liquids or gel/cream liners, then you would ultimately have no use for it. 

Would I repurchase:  You're damn rights I will!  If anything should ever happen to this brush, or should it need replacing, I will definitely pick up another.  



Sephora Smoky Cream Eyeliner

Where to buy:  Both online and in store. (Just to clarify, I mean Sephora online and Sephora in store)

Cost: $13 CAD or $10 USD

Colors Purchased: The Deep End (a matte royal periwinkle blue) and Bewitch Me (a shimmery dark plum)

My Thoughts: What first caught my eye was the color selection.  I first picked out "The Deep End" which is an absolutely STELLAR periwinkle sort of royal blue color.  Better still, it was a matte.  My heart was stolen from the first glance. The color selection they have is actually pretty decent and they have some nice colors you don't normally see.  Check out their website to get a better idea of the colors available. My friend Megan actually bought me "The Deep End" as a birthday gift and what a wonderful gift it truly is!  I am a slave to all things matte, whether it's lippies or shadows or blushes, I'm immediately in love if it's a matte.  This cream eyeliner certainly doesn't disappoint.  The color you see in the pot is the exact color you get. The texture of this cream eyeliner is very soft and smooth, comparable to warm butter.  Keep that in mind when dipping your brushes and use a light hand otherwise you'll have too much product and a messy pot and brush. It applies with such ease and such great pigmentation.  That being said, I still feel the need to build up the color a bit more as I love my eye colors to be very loud and very bold.  It is indeed very smudge proof ONCE IT HAS SET and VERY water resistant. (It's said to be water proof and yes it does stand up to water VERY well so long as you aren't rubbing at the color)  It works wonderfully in the water line.  I personally picked up "Bewitch Me" which is a really lovely subtle shimmery deep plum color on my birthday with a gift card my brother's girlfriend Amanda gave me.  I picked out this color because it's great with my hazel eyes and it's also a bit more subtle and suited to day time work looks. (Not that I work, but ya never know) It's a really lovely shade of plum and applies just as well as The Deep End and just as pigmented.  As with all gel and cream eyeliners, I like to set them with a matching powder or something in the same color family. I am definitely looking forward to picking up the rest of the colors in the line.  They really do last all day long and are very smudge proof once dry.  The nice thing about these liners is they are also smudgeable when wet and lend themselves very well to smoky eye looks (Hence the name!) I do however find a smudge brush really is in order to get a nice look as trying to do it with your finger or even a cotton swab looks a bit messy and blotchy. These eyeliners are now an absolute staple in my kit and I sincerely hope you give them a try and they find their way into your personal arsenal as well. I know a lot of people aren't the biggest fans of Sephora brand stuff but I have never really had an issue with any of their stuff that I use.  These are truly awesome cream liners and the fact they come in a whole myriad of interesting colors is a major selling point in my opinion. They are super smooth and have great color pay off. Overall, I'm really impressed.

Overall, another 5 stars for these awesome eyeliners.  I love the color and texture selection (they have both matte and shimmer textures) They have amazing color pay off and the formula really is wonderful. 

Who would LOVE these: Anyone that's looking for a great color selection of cream eyeliners that doesn't have access to the Inglot brand gel eyeliners. (HINT HINT! Canada needs a site!)

Who wouldn't love these:  I suppose someone who isn't really a fan of cream eyeliners.  Even those with oily eyelids should love these, so long as you use a good primer and let them set. 

Would I repurchase: I most certainly will be!  I am hoping in the near future to get my hands on the rest of the colors as they really are a great steal at $13 and work like a charm.


Bewitch Me
The Deep End


Without Flash, Natural Light
With Flash

Wearing "Bewitch Me"


Wearing "The Deep End"

I hope these reviews helped you a bit in getting a better grasp on the products themselves as well as their uses and quality.  Thanks again for taking the time to check it out and I hope you enjoyed my take on these products.

Lots of Love

3 comments:

  1. The Deep End is always the color I look for when I go to Sephora and THEY ARE ALWAYS OUT OF IT!!!! Ugg! The luck of you! Great job on teh blog btw I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an absolutely amazing color! It really does last FOREVER. The swatches are still on my hand today after plenty of hand washing as well as a bath and sleeping with my hand crammed under my pillow! I would just look online if you still can't get a hold of it in the near future. It really is worth having in your kit as it's really quite unique. Thanks for the kind words too, love :) I appreciate any and all feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S: Next time I'm in there, which is far too, haha I'll grab one for you :)

    ReplyDelete